- Malayalam Wikimedians conducted the "10th Anniversary of Wikipedia" celebrations and "8th Anniversary of Malayalam Wikipedia" celebrations in Kannur on 2011 January 15. The event was organised with the support of Kannur District Library Council and Kerala Sasthra Sahithya Parishat (Kannur District Committee). The meeting started with Kannur District Library Council Secretary P. K. Baiju welcoming all. Ex Kerala University Vice-Chancellor and Social Worker Dr. B. Iqbal inaugurated the event by delivering his speech online. Language computing researcher and a teacher from Mahe MG College, Dr. Mahesh Mangalat presided over the function. In association with this, a study class and discussions on Malayalam Wikipedia and free information was also conducted. The audience was also briefed about the sister concerns of Wikipedia. The participants expressed their delight after the function on knowing how to edit in Wikipedia and how to be part of the community.
- Around 14 Malayalam wiki workshops were conducted during the period 2010 October to 2011 May in various districts of Kerala and in neighboring states. Out of these, 12 were in Kerala, one was in Madurai and another one was in Bangalore. In Kerala study classes were conducted In the districts of Kozhikode, Kannur, Kottayam, Kasargod, Kollam, Malappuram, Alappuzha, Ernakulam, Kannur, Thrissur and Thiruvananthapuram.
- Malayalam Wikimedians conducted an event called Malayalam loves Wikimedia from 2011 April 2 to April 25 to encourage and educate Malayalam Wikipedia users to contribute to Wikimedia Commons. Through this event we aimed in contributing the maximum copyleft informative images to Wikimedia Commons. The event was covered in main stream medias as well. Due to an overwhelming participation, Malayalam Wikipedians contributed over 2155 images to Wikimedia Commons.
- Malayalam Wikimedian Junaid developed a MediaWiki plug-in called Narayam which helps Malayalam Wikipedia users to type Malayalam in Wikipedia without using any external tools. This tool was extended to be used with Wilkipedia in all other languages. With this extension, users can type Malayalam in almost all text boxes of Malayalam Wikipedia.
- On 2010 December 21, the same day of Malayalam Wikipedia's 8th anniversary, Malayalam Wikipedia completed 16,0000 articles. On 2011 March 10, Malayalam Wikipedia crossed 17,000 articles.
- On 2011 January 22, Malayalam Wikipedia finished 1 million edits. With this Malayalam Wikipedia became the first Indian Wikipedia to have over a million edits.
- Malayalam Wikipedia started a project called Malayalam Wikipedia Map Project which aimed in creating open-source maps related to places and districts in Kerala, maintain categories related to maps of Kerala, convert raster map images to vector images and also to encourage new users in creating maps.
- Added Panchathanthram Kilippattu by Kunchan Nambiar to Wikisource
- The efforts are in full swing to add Aithihyamala by Kottarathil Sankunni to Wikisource
- Started adding the complete collection of Chattambi Swamikal to Wikisource
- Aesop's fables are being made available a few at a time. Currently 38 fables are online . Many of them illustrated.
It has to be stated at the outset that Malyalam WIKIQUOTE (mlwq) seems to have the least participation among the various Malayalam wikimedia projects. At present there appearsto be only a couple of active editors. In the last few months the wikiqoute homepage received a major facelift. The main subpages at present incude:
- Traditional proverbs
- Folk riddles
- Literary works
- similies and metaphors
- quotes from Famous personalities / scriptural quotes
- folk songs.
Of these, there have been inputs in the 1st and eighth categories. However these too seem like single handed efforts. It does appear that contributors to other wikimedia projects are not aware of the activities and relevance of wikiquote ! The traditonal proverbs section of malayalam wikiquote can definitely be said to be by far the largest and most exhaustive repository of malayalam quotes availabe on the internet at present. However we have miles and miles to go . Malayalam has plenty more to offer in terms of quotes and the iceberg is buried far too deep at present.
<<To be updated>> Malayalam Wiktionary (http://ml.wiktionary.org/) intends to create a free content dictionary, providing definitions in Malayalam for the words in all the other languages. As of 2010 August 31, there are 60,155 words in Malayalam Wiktionary. Of these definitions, around 40,000 definitions are of Malayalam words and 20,000 are English words. Notably, there are definitions of 250 Japanese words, 130 Tamil words, 100 Korean words and several words in Chinese, Arabic, and Hindi. The project has progressed significantly in the last two years growing from a Wiktionary with 1700 definitions in 2008 January to where it is today. There is significant need for volunteers not only to add new definitions, but also to refine, expand, and categorize existing definitions.
<<To be added>>