The measurement-converter Template:Convert often provides many benefits, including:
- default conversion to the most-likely other unit, as readers would expect.
- typesetting the non-breaking space between amounts and unit symbols (joins "9 km").
- auto-rounding of amounts, such as converting "300" rounded to the nearest hundred.
- specifying significant digits, such as cases where "120" is exact, as sigfig=3.
- converting ranges, or sets of up to 4 amounts at once.
- converting fractions, such as: 2 1⁄2 feet (76 സെ.m).
- tracking the use of various units, such as counting articles which use "cubic yards".
- similar calculations on other-language wikipedias, translating unit names into other languages (still in development).
- the default spelling is metre, kilometre and litre. To obtain the US spelling of meter, kilometer and liter one inserts "sp=us". This is the way one controls the spelling and maintains consistency within an article.
There are various other benefits, as well. Also read the ongoing discussions at Template_talk:Convert,
for requests to add more units into the total set of supported units.
- See also